Churchill County Parks & Recreation offers activities and classes for everyone this fall.
Registration and payment for activities is all online at: churchillcountyrecreation.org
Ugly Sweater 5k Run/Walk — Churchill County Parks and Recreation is celebrating the holiday season with the second annual Ugly Sweater 5k Run/Walk. Join us to enjoy the hot cocoa stand, ugly sweater contest, 5k and ugly sweater scavenger hunt.
Make sure to wear your ugliest sweater for a chance to win fun prizes. Check-in begins at 9 a.m., followed by the ugly sweater contest at 9:30 a.m. The 5k begins at 10 a.m.
For information and pre-registration, visit churchillcountyrecreation.org
Wreaths Across America
To order a wreath for Fernley’s NNVMC event, go to nnvc.org and click on Wreaths Across America for the pdf form, or mail your donation to: Nevada Veterans Coalition; P.O. Box 415; Fernley, NV 89408.
To order for Fallon, go to http://www.wreathsacrossamerica.com. The group ID is NV0063, and the location ID is NVCHCC. Roger Elliott is handing the Fallon campaign.
Fallon Rotary Club upcoming events
Dec. 6: Meals on Wheels
Dec. 13: Holiday Party/Homebound Senior Drive
Dec. 20: dark
Dec. 22: Daily Bread
Dec. 27: dark
Homeward bound Senior Holiday Drive ideas
• Word puzzles (word searches)
• Jigsaw puzzles
• Dog toys/cat toys
• Christmas cookies
• Cat food/dog food
• Wet wipes
• Paper towels
• Toilet paper
• Household cleaners
• Small heaters
• Wool caps
• Denture products
• Incontinence pads
• Eye drops
• Laundry soap/fabric softener
Convoy of Lights
High Desert Grange and Toys for Tots are sponsoring their third annual Christmas Convoy of Lights on Dec. 3.
To enter this growing annual event, a toy or cash donation to Toys for Tots is required. Trucks, tractors, trailers, ATVs, and UTVs are permissible entry vehicles. However, no animals are allowed.
The first responders of Churchill County are having their Holiday Food Competition on Sunday, Dec. 4, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. in front of the Fallon Walmart.
During this competition, people are encouraged to give any food item to the agency of your choice. The agency that receives the most food in weight wins.
Agencies competing are the Fallon Police Department, Churchill County Sheriff’s Office, Fallon Paiute-Shoshone Tribal police, Fallon-Churchill Volunteer Fire Dept., Nevada Highway Patrol and Banner Churchill Community Hospital EMS.
Churchill County Library
• “1,000 Books Before Kindergarten” encourages youngsters to read age-appropriate books before entering school. Book titles are suggested and offered by library staff. Sign-ups accepted at any time.
• In-person “Storytime with Ms. Jes” offered Wednesdays and Thursdays at 11 a.m. Children’s Librarian Jeslyn MacDiarmid reads picture books to children and offers a craft to accompany most stories. Each session is recorded and posted to the library’s YouTube account for on-demand viewing at your convenience.
• Reading with Rover takes place on Dec. 8 from 3:30-4:30 p.m. Children read books to dogs to improve their reading skills and confidence to a decidedly captive audience.
• Learn about 3D printing at drop-in participatory workshops on Dec. 7 and 21 from 3 to 5 p.m. Using the library’s 3D printer, make objects, both useful and pretty, and see about this popular technology.
• Virtual Reality drop-in sessions take place on Tuesdays (except Dec. 27) from 3:15 to 5 p.m. All welcome to stop by!
• STEAM sessions with VR are on Fridays (except Dec. 23) from 1:30 to 3 p.m.
• Have a problem with your computer or smartphone? Head over the William N. Pennington Life Center on Fridays (except Dec. 23) from 10 to 11 a.m. and get answers from Technical Services Librarian Joe Salsman, an expert in all things technology!
• Writer’s Group meets Tuesdays at 5 p.m. Discover what area writers are inspired by and working on and bring your own manuscript for inspiration.
• Knitting Club meets on Tuesdays at 10 a.m. and Thursdays at 4 p.m. All are welcome from the beginner to advanced skilled folks.
• Featured artist for December and January is Jim Zlokovich. Library walls will feature his cloud images.
Hours of operation:
Library hours of operation are Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Closed on Sundays and major holidays.
Call 775-423-7581 for information on any of the activities above. The Churchill County Library is located at 553 South Maine Street in Fallon. The library website is: www.churchillcountylibrary.org
BLM Christmas tree permits
The Bureau of Land Management, Carson City District, is selling Christmas tree permits. The permit is valid from the date of purchase through Dec. 25.
To purchase a Christmas tree permit online, visit https://forestproducts.blm.gov/ and search for Nevada, Carson City District Office.
The cost per tree permit is $5. Upon purchase of a permit, a map and permit stipulations will be provided. No more than 10 permits may be purchased by one individual; the permits are for individual use only.
The permit allows the purchaser to cut only a pinyon pine or juniper tree. The cutting of all other tree species is prohibited.
Christmas trees may be harvested on all Carson City District BLM administered lands, primarily in the Pine Nut Mountains between Carson City and Yerington, the Clan Alpine and Desatoya Mountains east of Fallon, and the Excelsior Mountains southeast of Hawthorne. No cutting of Christmas trees within wilderness study areas and to be conscious of not cutting Christmas trees near city/residential areas.
Tree permits may also be purchased in-person at the following Churchill County locations:
UNR Cooperative Extension Office-Fallon
111 Sheckler Rd., Fallon
Mon.-Thurs., 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
42500 U.S. Highway 50 (48 miles east of Fallon)
7 a.m. – 9 p.m., daily, 775-423-7134
What’s for lunch? Check out the November offerings at the Pennington Life Center and stop by for your favorites! Lunch served promptly at 11:30 a.m. in the dining room. All ages are welcome.
Free seasonal flu vaccines, along with all COVID vaccines, available in November. Stop by the Pennington Life Center or the Miner’s Road public health site for vaccines, and the Miner’s Road site only for COVID testing (nv-churchillcounty2.civicplus.com)
Become a chamber member
Would you or someone you know in the business community like to become more involved? Fallon Chamber of Commerce would like to extend its invitation to you to become a board member. The chamber provides resources, support and education to help businesses be successful. The chamber is currently working on job training, internships and scholarship programs for up and coming youth looking to get into the business world.
The chamber understands it’s made up of small businesses wants to provide all the resources you need to run a successful business on a local, state and federal level The chamber works hard to represent the local business community, but as a non-profit 501(c)6 organization, the chamber relies on members and board of directors to partner with us to serve businesses and our community as a whole! Many people wonder what it is the Chamber of Commerce is exactly. By definition, a chamber of commerce is a local organization of businesses whose goal is to further the interests of businesses. Business owners in towns and cities form these local societies to advocate on behalf of the business community. Local Chambers work on the local level to bring the business community together to develop strong local networks, which can result in a business-to-business exchange.
In most cases, local Chambers work with their local government, such as their mayor, their city council and local representatives to develop pro-business initiatives. If interested please nominate yourself or someone that you think would be vital to aiding our business community.